Found this interesting tidbit on THR about Jennifer Lawrence supposedly having a potential conflict between opposing sequels:
Insiders say the studios are poised for a face-off over the 21-year-old's schedule as they move ahead with sequels in their respective franchises. Lionsgate is planning to shoot Games follow-up Catching Fire in the summer, for release in November 2013. A source says Fox is considering an early fall shoot for a sequel to 2011's First Class, which doesn't yet have a release date, leading to chatter of a potential Lawrence scheduling conflict.
So it's not set in stone, but it appears Fox has a tentative timeline to shoot XMFC2 later this year. Obviously, that can change. BUT....
This might answer the question of what James will be doing in the fall. Stay tuned...
We have a start date for the sequel per the Heat Vision blog on THR:
X-Men' Sequel to Shoot in January, Avoiding Conflict for 'Hunger Games' Star Jennifer Lawrence
Tensions between the studios were running high last month as Fox was considering filming Lawrence's "X-Men" follow-up in the fall, potentially conflicting with Lionsgate's plans for a "Hunger Games" sequel.There appears to be a resolution to the question of whether 20th Century Fox and Lionsgate will fight over the services of in-demand actress Jennifer Lawrence.
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Fox is informing talent agencies Thursday that the studio plans to begin shooting its in-development sequel to X-Men: First Class in January. That means Lionsgate could move forward with an August-September start date for the Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire without a conflict for Lawrence, who is set to star in both.As THR previously reported, tensions between the studios were running high last month as Fox was considering filming the Matthew Vaughn-directed X-Men follow-up in the fall, potentially conflicting with Lionsgate's plans for Hunger Games. Fox, which cast Lawrence as the shape-shifting character Mystique in Summer 2010, months before Lionsgate chose her to play Katniss Everdeen in March 2011, has the right to exercise the option on her contract if it conflicts with another Hunger. That's true even though Lawrence is part of a large ensemble in X-Men but is the clear star of the Hunger franchise.
Fox's acquiescence isn't a total win for Liosngate. One source says the Hunger Games studio would have liked to "hold" all the actors for seven months in connection with shooting Catching Fire. But that lengthy demand (typical holds are months shorter) is said to have been dropped amid complaints by interested parties, including Fox.
I guess this means James can commit to another project later this year if he wants. Personally, I hope he wants.
Discussion of Gary Ross's exit from next Hunger Games movie and scuttlebutt on the XMFC start date and its ramifications per THR. Sounds like Fox was kind of forcing Ross to pull a Matthew Vaughn, and he said "No, thank you.".
'Hunger Games': 'X-Men' Standoff Led to Gary Ross' Exit
Scheduling and script issues came to a head as Fox and Lionsgate both needed star Jennifer Lawrence.
When writer-director Gary Ross announced his decision to drop out of the next installment in The Hunger Games saga, he stated his reasons succinctly:"As a writer and a director, I simply don't have the time I need to write and prep the movie I would have wanted to make because of the fixed and tight production schedule," he said Tuesday.
Ross did not allude to Fox, which had imposed that schedule by putting a January start date on its X-Men: First Class sequel with an ensemble role for star Hunger Games Jennifer Lawrence. And Ross did not express his misgivings about the particular challenges he perceives in framing and executing a film version of Catching Fire, the second book in Suzanne Collins' young-adult series.
Fox's January date led the bond company on Catching Fire to insist that Lionsgate commit to finish filming by Dec. 20, backing the studio into a production schedule with an August start date that Ross felt he could not accommodate. (Fox's deal with Lawrence predates her contract for Hunger Games, putting X-Men in a priority position.)
According to knowledgeable sources, Lionsgate Motion Picture Group co-chair Rob Friedman pressed Fox to set a later start date for the X-Men movie, even offering allurements including a chance to handle some of the overseas distribution on Catching Fire.
Fox was willing to move back its start date a few weeks and is still
in conversations with Lionsgate on that issue. But the additional time
would not have been enough to allay Ross's concerns. And Fox might have
been inclined to cooperate only up to a point: When X-Men: First Class was released in June, the studio very much wanted Lawrence to attend the premiere. But the actress was starting The Hunger Games then
and Lionsgate did not make her available, apparently causing severe
friction with Fox. Friedman, who was not at Lionsgate then and has a
good relationship with Fox's Tom Rothman, has been
negotiating to win a little more time. Lionsgate is now said to be
confident that it can complete shooting in the time allotted.
Here's an interview with Fox CEO Tim Rothman who talks about XMFC2 among other things with MTV's Josh Horowitz:
We're going to start shooting in January 2013 for either Christmas 2013, or Summer 2014," said Rothman on the current plans for First Class 2. "The script is in development now. Matt [Vaughn], Simon Kinberg and Jane Goldman are working on it now."
Here's the video: http://www.mtv.com/videos...-reboot.jhtml#id=1683826
As much as I'd love to see this next year, if it means Matthew Vaughn having to work himself sick again to meet the deadline, and Fox not doing a proper job of promoting the film (like last time) because they're not sure Vaughn is going to get it done in time, personally I'd rather see them wait until Summer 2014 to release it.
What do you guys think?
I think he did a pretty good thing with the first one without much time so I'm not too scared that it wouldn't be good. anyway I think that he must have had the story of the sequel in mind back filming the first one, don't you think?
I'm not scared that Matthew Vaughn wouldn't do a good job again either, Noux, although he literally did work himself sick meeting the deadline.
My biggest concern is that Fox does a proper job promoting/marketing the film this time. I think it was MarielovesJAM who said she didn't see any posters for the film on buses or subway trains in NYC. And since she doesn't watch TV, the only way she knew about the film was from following the board. I think that was at least in part because 1) they weren't 100% certain Vaughn was going to finish in time and exactly what kind of film they had on their hands, and 2) they were limited in what they could show in teaser trailers because Vaughn literally didn't finish all the post-production work until 3 weeks before the film's release as I recall. Others mentioned that other summer tentpole movies start teasing info & video out 6 months before the film is released to slowly build buzz, which Fox didn't have time to do.
So those are my concerns. Hope I'm wrong though!